Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Ebert


I just came across this article on Roger Ebert. I knew some of his sickness, and cancer of the salvitory glands, but I had no idea the extent the disease(s) had taken on him. This article is sad and tender. I've been a fan of Ebert since watching their show every Saturday afternoon when I was a kid. This continued on until At the Movies... was shown late Sunday nights and I started to develop my own tastes for movies. As you may know about me, movies are important to me. No, I can't tell you why, I guess I just love the escape and the numerous devices that can be used to tell a story.

Everyone sided more with either Siskel or Ebert. I usually went with Ebert, but I also remember I was genuinely sad when Siskel died in 1999. I even remember I was waiting on a line of a ski lift when my father told me. But Ebert was still alive, so I was happy. I've since read a few of his books and listened to his commentary for the movie Dark City about as many times as I've watched the movie itelf (about 5). If you are a fan of them man, or not this article is touching story of someone who has given his life to the art of movies and I think has helped guide them into being what they have become today. Enjoy this article and keep your thumbs up at all times.

No comments: