Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Coraline

I guess I have been in an animation mode. On Sunday, I went to the theater to see Coraline in 3D.
Now, I included the front cover of the novel instead of the one-sheet to the left because I love the artist Dave McKean. That is not to say the movie wasn't good too because it was. I was a little upset that they did not use the 3D as much as I would have liked since I paid an extra $5 or so to get the 3D experience and feel I didn't get more than $2 or $3 extra.
As far as the movie itself, it was a fun, cute movie that I wish was a little scarier since I remember reading the book there was a more eerie feel to the book, but I guess they had to tone that down due to it being an animated film geared towards kids.
I was impressed with the claymation, but I must say there is something about Henry Selick movies for me that do not work. I always seem to fall asleep when I watch his movies and I started drifting at times during Coraline as well. My girlfriend pointed out what the issue is. He always using the chanting-style of music and it puts me to sleep.
I guess I did not LOVE this movie, but this is not a negative review since this was probably the worst Neil Gaiman book I've ever read so I couldn't expect too much.
The movie just follows a pretty standard/typical story-arc with great animation but overall it is worth seeing especially in a great visual medium.

No comments: