Friday, April 24, 2009

Tom Robbins




I had the opportunity to get a book signed by one of my favorite living authors. When I like someone I make it a point to become a completist in everything that person does. From Neil Gaiman, to Stephen King to Lost. I read, collect and try and get my hand on anything involved in those mediums. Tom Robbins is the easiest of all to become a completist in since he releases a book once every 5 years or so. I have read every one of his books in the past 10 years. Another Roadside Attraction, Still Live With Woodpecker, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues, Jitterbug Perfume, Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas, Villa Incognito and of course my favorite: Skinny Legs and All.
Yesterday he was doing a signing for his new book B is for Beer and I felt I had to go there. Even though I was out enjoying a few scotch's with my friend Chuck at 7:30 I excused myself (I felt 4 scotches was the correct amount of inebriation to be on the same level as Tom Robbins) and got on line at Barnes and Noble. It was a long wait, but worth it for the 30 seconds I was able to tell that man how great of an author he was and to personally thank him for the enjoyment he has given me. He was equally thankful to me for reading his novels and I was on my way. How someone can conceive of his thoughts, I cannot comprehend, but I enjoy the readings. I look forward to reading each of his books again since I do not feel they can truly be appreciated in just one read-through. They are too complex and at times too confusing and I'm sure Tom Robbins is not exactly on the same plane of existence as the rest of us, but it seems like a great place to be.
I was most shocked that he is over 73 years old, yet looks no older than 50. Since he only publishes a book every 5 years or so, I can assume he doesn't work too hard and that is half the reason. However, I have read Jitterbug Perfume, which basically describes the recipe for eternal life. So maybe he just follows his own advice of beets, fornication and dancing.
The only negative thing about writing about Tom Robbins is that I know nothing I write can do the man justice since he could write this entire blog post in a better, esoteric way. But I'll just live with appreciate the writing and not compare myself to him.

No comments: