Thursday, April 16, 2009

Rachel Getting Married



I just watched this movie and I have to say I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to. The father was just a great character. He made me laugh in almost everything he said and I want to eat only 'hungabunga's' from now on, but I will probably forget this at my next bbq.
My favorite thing about the movie is the music. Not just the score of the film which was good, but the musicians that played the groom's friends who were always around the background and sometimes the foreground. I loved all the music and all the musical styles that were represented during the actual wedding: From the rock and roll of the old guy singing to the house beats to the jungle and drum n bass. It was really a lot of fun.
My biggest complaint about the movie were some of the editing choices. A lot of scenes just cut away spontaneously (especially because it often interrupted a really good beat or piece of music I had just really gotten into when it cut away -- this happened 3 times that I can think of) -- Some will say they had to cut for time, or always leave the audience wanting more, but it did disappoint me.
The acting was very good, and shaky cams never bother me (which I know is a common critique of this movie).

The music puts this over the top from being OK, to being quite good. The problem with movies like this is that although I'm glad I saw it, I highly doubt I will ever watch it again due to the deep subject matter, but then again -- you never know. Sometimes these things marinate over time and you have a desire to watch them again. Or- maybe I'll need to after I get out of my next stint at rehab.

No comments: