Sunday, May 31, 2009

W.


This afternoon, I watched the Oliver Stone movie W. which I'm sure most people know is a biopic of George W. Bush and his youth through his first term as president. Taking away any political thoughts I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this movie. I understand it was filtered through Oliver Stone and there were scenes that were quite good but no one can know what happened (I'm thinking mostly of the War Room scenes and how they showed the evil of Dick Cheney and the logic/goodness of Colin Powell).

Josh Brolin was great in this though and he really has turned into if nothing else the best actor to come out of Goonies (with apologies to Corey Feldman, Martha Plimpton and Sean Astin) with his recent performances in Milk, and No Country for Old Men and at times he looked EXACTLY like the actual George W. Bush.

This movie actually does not paint our ex-president as a bad man, but someone that was trying to live up to his father's expectations and how he wanted to have a legacy. Also, I was very creeped out by Richard Dreyfus' performance as Dick Cheyney which was so on-point it was scary.

No comments: